Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Inaugural Post

As many of you know, I tend to be behind the times when it comes to social media outlets. I didn't join Facebook until the friend I thought would never join actually did. I still haven't graced the world of Twitter with my presence. And so, in much the same way, it is only after many of my friends and acquaintances have begun blogging (specifically at blogspot, because let's face it, Xanga is so 5 years ago) that I have decided to make a blog of my very own.

Now, I have a few different reasons for creating a blog. For one, I have always enjoyed writing and in recent years have found that I have no good outlet for my love of writing. Secondly, being the naturally passionate individual that I am, I have a lot to say. Though I may be biased, I also think I have something to contribute with the things I have to say (you may decide otherwise, and I am okay with this). I have fleetingly considered creating a blog for some time, but the horse finally left the gate last night when I was at the dog park with my beautiful beagle, Bayley. While talking to another beagle owner, he mentioned to me, "I wish they had a beagle support group".  We discussed the need for beagle owners everywhere to have the support of fellow beaglers to form search parties when our beagles take off after a scent leaving us far behind as well as the need for validation when our dogs eat... well... everything. I have thought for some time that I would like a beagle support group and have gone in search of blogs of this sort, but to my dismay, have found none. My neighbors have a Vizsla and they are always telling us about the blogs they read that lend them validation when their adorable pup eats dirt, or poop, or used contraceptives at the dog park. Last night I decided that since there are no blogs for beagle owners, I'd just have to make one myself. Then, shortly thereafter, I found myself to be quite annoyed by many of the other dog owners at the dog park and their silly antics (this will be a later post) and decided that having a place to share my thoughts on matters such as these would be well worth it. And thus, the blog was born. (However, lest you be misled and think I will only blog about my experiences as a beagle owner, rest assured that this is not the case).

I guess that since this is the Inaugural Post, I would be remiss if I did not address the name of the blog. After all, the most difficult part of creating a blog is thinking of a clever name. I confess that I spent several hours last night thinking about clever names. I finally settled on "Dancin' in the Minefield" after a song I recently heard on the radio. The song is about life and marriage being similar to dancing in a minefield. I enjoy this analogy first because I love dancing and second because I think that conflict and hardships arise in life at the most unpredictable times similarly to what would happen if you were actually dancing through a minefield. And yet, the title also implies that even though you are in a minefield, there is joy. So, there you have it: Dancin' in the Minefield. I look forward to seeing where this takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment